South Norfolk News – April 2018

First, some history! In 1918, the house at 1209 Chesapeake Ave. was under construction at the same time the Grand Theater was under construction, by two brothers named “Williams.” At about the same time, Ed Reass (pronounced “Reese”) had a farm in Princess Anne County. Reass made a deal with the Williams brothers to trade the Reass farm for the theater and this house. So the Williams brothers never operated the theater or lived in this house, even though they built both. After WWII in late 1945, Reass returned to his hometown of Pittsburgh. Eventually, the Chesapeake Avenue Methodist Church across...

Read More